British man released in Sudan shot by sniper before wife dies of starvation

An 85-year-old British national was shot in Sudan before his wife died of starvation after being left behind in the country.

The family of Abdullah Sholgami and his 80-year-old wife, Alweya Rishwan, who had a disability, said they were directed to cross a battlefield to board an evacuation fight in Khartoum, despite repeated calls for direct help from the UK government I went.

The family told the BBC they contacted the UK Foreign Office hotline and that the government had done nothing to assist them since the last evacuation flight earlier this month.

The Foreign Office told the BBC that the matter was “extremely sad”.

“The ongoing military conflict means that Sudan remains dangerous.

“The UK is taking a leading role in diplomatic efforts to bring peace to Sudan.”

The Foreign Office said that its capacity to provide consular assistance is “extremely limited” and cannot provide assistance in person in Sudan.

The family said that when Mr Sholgami and his wife, facing starvation, were forced to leave to find help, where he was shot three times by snipers, his wife was then abandoned at the property surrounded by snipers, where he died.

Mr. Sholgami has escaped from Sudan to safety in Egypt.

More than 2,300 people were evacuated from Sudan by the UK government in 28 flights since the fighting began in April.

Ministry of Defense photograph of stores at Wadi Sedna Airport in Khartoum, Sudan. The British evacuation mission from the African country has so far carried 536 people to safety in six flights, according to the latest official figures. Issue date: Thursday April 27, 2023.

(PA average)

More than 1.3 million people have been displaced by fighting between Sudan’s army and a powerful paramilitary force, the UN migration agency said on Wednesday.

ALSO CHECK   Police crush five deadly farmers for brutal murder in Benue

The International Organization for Migration said the conflicts have forced more than one million people to leave their homes for safer areas inside Sudan.

About 320,000 others have fled to neighboring Egypt, South Sudan, Chad, Ethiopia, the Central African Republic and Libya.

The fighting began on 15 April after months of escalating tensions between forces led by General Abdel-Fattah Burhan and the Rapid Support Force led by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk%2Fhome-news%2Fsudan-conflict-starvation-khartoum-latest-b2346257.html

Leave a Comment